Optalysys is part of a major project led by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) to develop the next generation platform for numerical weather prediction
- Part of a major collaboration project to develop world-class, extreme-scale computing capabilities for European operational numerical weather prediction (Project ESCAPE)
- Led by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) and involving 10 other organisations
- An exascale HPC system using Optalysys technology that can run the next generation of numerical weather prediction algorithms in an energy-efficient way
- Successfully awarded a €4m grant by the European Commission through its Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme.
- Started 1st October 2015
- See project website for most recent updates
- In June 2017 we presented a demonstration of the optical spherical harmonic transform system to the EU at the mid-term project review meeting in Reading. This work has produced a novel method of generating functions using our optical approach which was not previously possible